Verbs are the backbone of every sentence in the English language. They showcase the action, state, or condition of the subject in focus. In writing, the subject-verb agreement is crucial in ensuring clear communication and avoiding confusion.
What is Subject-Verb Agreement?
Subject-verb agreement is the concept of matching the number and person of the subject and the verb in a sentence. It forms the foundation of proper sentence structure and grammar. This agreement means that if the subject in the sentence is singular, then the verb must also be singular. Similarly, if the subject is plural, the verb must also be plural.
– He walks to school every day.
Here, the subject `he` is singular and the verb `walks` agrees with it.
– They walk to school every day.
In this sentence, the subject `they` is plural, and the verb `walk` agrees with it.
Why is Subject-Verb Agreement Important?
The importance of subject-verb agreement cannot be overstated. It is a fundamental rule of proper sentence construction and grammar. Here are some reasons why subject-verb agreement is important:
1. Clarity: Proper subject-verb agreement ensures that sentences are clear and easily understood. It eliminates confusion for the reader and helps to convey clear meaning.
2. Grammatical Correctness: Incorrect subject-verb agreement is a common grammatical error. It can make writing appear unprofessional and impact the quality of communication.
3. Consistency: Consistency in subject-verb agreement helps to maintain the flow of writing. It ensures that all sentences are structured uniformly and are easy to read.
Tips for Ensuring Proper Subject-Verb Agreement
Here are some tips for ensuring proper subject-verb agreement in writing:
1. Identify the subject: Before choosing a verb, identify the subject in the sentence. It is easy to overlook the subject when writing complex sentences, but it is essential to ensure proper agreement.
2. Match the number and person: Ensure that the verb matches the number and person of the subject. If the subject is singular, the verb must be singular, and if the subject is plural, the verb must be plural.
3. Watch for Compound Subjects: Be careful when dealing with a compound subject as it can be tricky to determine the number and person. In such cases, use a plural verb.
4. Review your work: Review your writing for subject-verb agreement errors and correct them before submitting or publishing your work.
Subject-verb agreement is a crucial aspect of proper grammar and sentence construction. It ensures clarity, consistency, and grammatical correctness. As a writer, it is essential to understand the concept of subject-verb agreement and apply it consistently in your writing. Use the tips provided in this article to ensure proper agreement and produce clear and effective writing.